1. Apply for a PPS Number
It is important to make an appointment with the local Social Welfare office once you arrive so that you can apply for a Personal Public Service (PPS) number. The PPS number is like a tax number which you will need in order to access local services and receive the payment of your salary.
2. Open a Bank Account
Make an appointment with an Irish bank as soon as you arrive so you can set up a bank account where your salary will be paid into. You will need proof of your address, plus an offer letter of employment which we will provide.
3. Where to Find Accommodation
Check out www.daft.ie and www.myhome.ie to find accommodation in Ireland.
4. Local Schools
If you’re moving to Ireland with your family, your recruitment consultant has knowledge of the area and can advise on local schools. You can also check out a league table of Irish schools.
5. Permission to Work in Ireland
Before you arrive into Ireland, you will need to have:
- An Irish Medical Council registration certificate
- A letter of employment for immigration purposes which we will provide
- Permission to work as a doctor in Ireland through the Atypical working visa (if required) for locum work of six months or less.
6. Popular City Locations
If you’re looking to relocate to a city, some of the popular cities include Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford.
7. Popular Scenic Areas
If you’re looking for a more rural location, some of the smaller more scenic counties include Donegal, Sligo, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Kerry, Wexford, Offaly and Meath.
8. Transport Options
A variety of transport options are available. You can arrange car rental on arrival but you must hold a credit card in your name and a driving licence in the same name. You can also travel by bus and train across Ireland.
9. Settling in and Meeting People
To help you settle in to your local area, we will put you in touch with a doctor who has already made the move to Ireland. Where possible, we will find a doctor of the same nationality or specialty.
10. Documents Your Recruitment Consultant Requires
Remember to provide the following documents when you sign up with us:
- Police clearance
- At least three updated references
- Occupational health report
- Serology report
- Copy of your medical degree
- IELTS certificate
- Copy of identification such as your passport.