Position: Paediatric Consultant
Location: South Australia
Salary: $310,000 - $580,000 package
Contract: 0.5/ 1FTE options
We are currently recruiting for a Paediatric Consultants to become part of a large country hospital. The consultant is required to provide clinical leadership within the wider hospital community as well as demonstrate appropriate behaviours which reflect a commitment to SA Health values and strategic directions.
Located halfway between Melbourne and Adelaide this location is known for the uniqueness of its natural setting. The city is located on south east of the state, about 450 kilometres south-east of the capital Adelaide and just 17 kilometres from the Victorian border, it is the most important settlement in the Limestone Coast region.
Known as the second most populated city in South Australia with an estimated urban population over 270,000. The city is famously known for its volcanic and limestone features. Best known scenery is Blue Lake, alongside these stunning geographic features, scenic nature spots, lush pine forests, world-famous wineries and a gorgeous coastline offering something for all to experience.
The hospital provides acute services ranging from in-hospital care by local general practitioners to specialist surgical, obstetric, paediatric and anaesthetic services delivered by medical consultants. It includes 78 public beds, 20 bed private hospital, 24-hour accident and emergency, 12-day surgery chairs, specialist consulting rooms and 4 operating theatres. There around 400 staff who provide high-quality patient care, education and health promoting services to the community. The busy ED sees approximately 20,000 patients per year.
As a Senior member of the Paediatric team, you will:
- Provide clinical expertise in the Department of Paediatrics which is an 8 bedded inpatient unit.
- The applicant is required to have an up to date Advanced Paediatric Life Support and be confident in managing any Paediatric Resuscitation in coordination with Medstar Retrieval Service.
- Liaise appropriately with the Womens' and Childrens' Hospital Subspecialty Consultants when tertiary advice required.
- Oversight and management of children in the Emergency Department, inpatients, neonatal nursery and outpatients, including community consultations.
- The nursery cares for neonates 34 weeks and above but the Paediatrician on call is required to have Neonatal Advanced Resuscitation Skills up to date and will be confident in stabilising even premature neonates or any flat neonate which may arrive on the unit unexpectedly including the use of CPAP/short term ventilation awaiting retrieval.
- Provision of service for Paediatric Outpatients up to 4 full days a week and the majority of referrals are for those children with Neurobehavioural /Neurodevelopmental Paediatrics, so the applicant must have prior experience in this area.
- Outreach clinics may be provided in other sites in the South East region.
- Assess any child who presents a Child Protection Matter and liaise with Flinders Child Protection Team accordingly.
- Provide supervision of all clinical practices for junior medical staff, as well as undertake active engagement in the education of all health staff affiliated with the service.
- Undertake active engagement in Continuous Quality Improvement activities, including clinical audit and morbidity and mortality review.
To be eligible for this role, you must have:
- Bachelor of Medicine; Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) or equivalent. Appropriate Specialist Qualifications and registrable with the Medical Board of Australia as a Medical Practitioner with Specialist registration; or another qualification as defined in the SA Medical Officers Award
For more information on the above opportunity please get in touch with Babs Dass on 028 248 2942 or apply now with your current CV.